How to cook Chicken Biryani
Biryani has been originated in Turkey or Persia. The Muslim travelers have brought this to India and other places on the map closer to Persia. You can make a vegetable, mutton, chicken, prawn, fish biryani. The famous and most consumed is the Chicken Biryani. Traditionally earthen pots are used to make biryani to bring out the best aroma from the best quality ingredients used in the dish.
- 1 kg – chicken, cut into medium size pieces.
- ½ kg basmati rice.
- 1.5 glasses of water.
- 1 tsp. – Ginger paste.
- 1 tsp. – Garlic Paste.
- 3- Large onions finely sliced.
- 3 – Green chillies, chopped.
- 1 cup – chopped fresh mint leaves.
- 1 cup – chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- 1 tsp – red chilli powder.
- 10 strands of saffron.
- ½ cup – milk.
- 2 cups – yoghurt.
- 2-3 tbsp. – lemon juice.
- 7- Cloves.
- 2 – Bay leaves.
- 5 – Green cardamoms.
- 1 – Inch piece cinnamon.
- 2 tbsp. – ghee.
- ¾ cup – oil.
- Salt to taste.
- Grind to paste – 7 cloves, 4 cardamoms, ½ tsp – whole pepper, ½ inch piece – cinnamon.
How to cook:
- Soak saffron in milk and keep aside.
- Fry the sliced onions till crispy golden brown in color. Set aside to cool.
- When cool, grind to a coarse texture and set aside
- Rub ginger and garlic paste all over the chicken
- Add red chilli powder, half of the mint and coriander, lemon juice, green chilles, the ground spices ,crushed onions, yoghurt and the oil in which the onions were fried .Marinate for 2 hours
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, put the chicken along with the marinade and cook on medium heat until the gravy is not fully fried.
- Boil 1.5 glasses of water, when hot enough add some whole cloves, bay leaves, cardamoms and cinnamon then add salt and the rice. Parboil the Rice
- Drain the water and keep the rice side
- To layer the biryani add ghee in an earthen pot and layer rice then chicken gravy then rice and add the saffron milk to it
- Put the remaining ghee , coriander, mint leaves to garnish
- Seal the biryani and cook till rice is fully cooked
- Serve hot with raita.